Pages

Sunday 3 June 2012

ASSIGNMENT 2 - ELEMENTS OF DESIGN

ASSIGNMENT 2 - ELEMENTS OF DESIGN

GILLIAN BALL 413218


www.gillballphotography.blogspot.co.uk

For this assignment I have chosen to follow a beach theme and personally feel I have portrayed the images which were requested in a professional manor and I am happy with the results of my work.
 



Single point dominating the composition


I chose this image to demonstrate single point dominating the composition, as the background is clean and the football really stands out. I changed the image to black and white to make the football stand out more, therefore emphasizing the point I am trying to show.
 
 

 
 
 
 
Two Points
In this image the two points can be seen quite clearly, The rocks in the background and the fins in the foreground. This image has a sense of solitude about it but also tells a story about what the person who owns the fins is doing or about to do.
 
 
 
 
 
 
The image again shows a strong two point. The little boy acting as one and the father acting as the other.
I like this image as it shows father and son bonding and just how much fun the little boy is having.
 
 
 


Several Points in a Deliberate Shape
 
 
 
 
 
 
This image shows 3 people with 2 body boards arranged in a triangle shape.
Unfortunately out of the 4 attempts at taking the photo the subjects were either out of line or were not looking at the camera. This was a typical stand back and wait for the moment photo. I knew what I wanted to achieve and wanted it to look as natural as possible, however in doing so, I haven’t achieved the final image I was looking for.
 
 
 
A Combination of Vertical and Horizontal Lines
 
 
The horizon of the sky against the sea acts as a horizontal line as does the waves breaking on the beach. The little boy is posed as a vertical.
Personally I feel this is my best shot in this assignment. I love the ambiance of the image and have turned it into a greyscale image to enhance this. The day itself was rainy and very over cast but still the boy wanted to go down to the water. With everything considered such as his coat with his hands inside his sleeves, the dull sky and slightly choppy waters, you can really feel the image and can return to it time and time again.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 DiagonalsFor this image I Turned my camera at an angle this gives the image an entirely new feel and allows you to see more in the photo.
The way the lighting and again the dull conditions of the day have made this image feel work really well together, I also grey scaled this image to
enhance the feel.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I also took this image as an example of a natural diagonal.
 
 
 
 
Curves
 
 
 
 
Both of these images show the same curves just at different angles.
I like the way the waves have sculpted the beach in this way its very distinct and gives a calm feeling.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Distinct, even if irregular, shapes

These are very distinct and clear shapes in the form of letters and then words.



Again the blocks in the sea are very distinct and in an irregular shape.



Two Kinds of Implied Triangle
 
 
 
The three men playing football have arranged themselves into a clear triangle. I have marked on the image to show this
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




The little boys legs have formed a strong triangle. Again I have marked on the smaller image.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 








Rhythm
These two images again show the same type of rhythm, both are of a hovercraft
leaving the harbour.

On the top image the spray of the water shows fast movement and the direction of the waves created also indicate this.
On the bottom image the little boys hair has been blown in line with his face which shows the force of the down draft.
 

 
 
 
 

 PatternI took this as I liked the colours and patterns of the stones, not just as a group but as individuals to. Each stone has a different shape and size and together they make a interesting arrangement.
 
 

 
I turned this into a black and white image to emphasise the shapes.


I like the way the lines on the beach have formed and been left by the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment