Pages

Wednesday 26 September 2012



 
ASSIGNMENT 4 – APPLYING LIGHTING TECHNIQUES

Gillian Ball 413218




 
For this assignment I wanted a subject with versatility and different surfaces to work
with. I chose the shell because of these two features. The shell I choose has lots of
different textures and can be featured in many different ways, I tried quite a few and
have chosen the images I feel represent it in the best possible way.

I have photographed the shell in natural and artificial lighting situations using the
shadows to enhance some of the points I was trying to make. I personally like the set
up shots inside giving it a feel of being in it's natural environment and looking most
natural even though the photo was taken in a completely different set up.

Some of the images I took outside I am pleased with. The image on the plant pot was
taken in a series between the sun coming from behind the clouds to being fully out
and really shows the different lighting effects the natural light has. I also am
paticually fond of the images taken, again in natural light within the gravel. I wasn't
sure how these would turn out as the background is around the same colour as the
shells, but I feel this has given them a great effect and in some ways enhanced the
shells texture.

The overall feelings I have about this section of the course are that I have learned a
lot from the manual settings of my camera and the different feels the light can bring
out of an image. For example if the light is dull it can in some instances give
the image an eiry feel, whereas if the light is bright the images takes on a whole new
ambiance thus changing the feel of it completely.
 



SHAPE


 


For this section I used two different types of background to be able to see the
difference in shape definition. The first I used was a block of wood out side in
sunlight. I have chosen two images from the many taken which I think show the
shells shape in the best possible way.

Image one has the sunlight coming
form the right and is hitting the
shell directly to the side. The wood
background shows the shells lines
well and you can quite clearly see
the shape this forms. I think its also
a nice texture for the shell to be
sitting on as it contrasts with the
lines on its back.








Image two, has the light again
from the right but this time more to
the rear. Also the sun had faded
slightly making the shadows less
prominent and giving the shape a
more definite line.



 
 
 
 
 
 
I also took images on a plain background in indoor artificial lighting. I used white
instead of black as I thought this might reflect the light back up the shell giving the
sides a stronger line. Again I have picked two images a feel show this best.
 
In this image the light was directly above
and slightly to the right. Even with the

shadow on the image, the outline and
shape of the object can clearly be seen.
 
The lighting may be slightly bright and
this has resulted in the background
gaining a slight blue tint, however I feel
this works well against the shells colour
and enhances the overall image.




Image two. This image has a stronger shadow and therefore the tip of the shell
is in a darker place than the rest of the
body. Again I think this works well
within the image. The shape and outline
are again clearly visible and with the
focus being on the centre lines of the
shell the outline is out of focus and gives
the shell a softer appearance.

Out of these two images I prefer this one
as there is a lot more detail in that the
texture is seen more clearly and the
colour differences are shown, all this
while still showing the shape of the
object.



FORM



To show the form of the shell I used natural light for both ideas I had. One image was
photographed outside and one inside using the natural light from the window to
create the depth of the object. I tried to photograph the image through water, however
this became very difficult as the shells float for one and the effect wasn't the result I
was looking for with ripples taking away from the object itself. Therefore I have
decided not to include the images from this.

The images taken outside were shot on a glass table as I wanted to try something
different, something which would contrast the shells natural feel, and I think the
images have come out really nicely.



Image one has hardly any texture on the shell itself and having the reflection in the
table below it, gives the feel of 3D thus showing off the form of the shell in a
different yet effective way. This image uses the suns natural light to show the form of
it.
I used this idea as a replacement for shooting through water.
 
Image two shows two
shells in the same
lighting as the image
above. Again little
detail is shown giving
your full attention to
the shadows and
showing the form of
the object.

I gave this a tighter
crop than the above
image and shot it in
more of a downward
angle.

The indoor images I chose have been taken with the aid of a painted canvas. This
appeals to the nature of the shells and they benefit from this.
 
This image was taken just using the light through the window. This has created a
darker image and made the colours in the background dark and dingy. Having said
that the shells (which have been arranged to show the most shadows and create the
best effects) have created a great form and show the volume well.

For the next image I wanted to try it using to much light to see if this would show the
form better or worse.
 

As you can tell this
showed the lines on the
shells but not a lot of
anything else.
After spending a bit of
time in photo shop I
managed to create an
image I feel works.


I played with the levels on the histogram and by making the background darker and
enhancing the shells themselves, the form of the object has now become clear.



TEXTURE



The shell has two textures so I had to find two methods which would enhance both
the smooth inside and the rough curvature of the outside. Again I shot inside with
artificial light source and outside in natural. Inside I used a plain background and
outside I used the gravel. Both worked well after a lot of trial and error.





I deliberately focused on the bottom outside of the shell as this part is smooth as well
as the inside, however the inside is focused on in a lot of photos I looked at for
inspiration and research so I felt I'd use a different approach. I used a low diffused
light source in front and to the left of the shell to gain this effect. I like the way this
has turned out but it has caused some conversational debates among family as to
whether it should be like this!.


Image two, shows the rough
tip of the shell. This has
caused less debates! I
focused on the tip itself
giving the light and camera
the best angle to capture the
rough edges.








 
 
 
 
This was taken in natural sunlight. I was a bit concerned as to how this effect would
work with the aim being texture, however the overall effect achieved is, I feel, better
than anticipated and works very well with what I was trying to gain. I have left this
unprocessed and haven't altered the crop leaving the image how it was originally
taken. The smooth gravel contrasts well against the rough surface of the shells and in
the way they are arranged some of the smooth surfaces of the shells are shown here
to.



This part really challenges the best way to get the texture to be shown just right and
really influences the role in which light has to play in image construction.



COLOUR

 
 



This was by far the hardest task in this assignment. The shells have very little colour
in them and so creating colour (other than painting them) was going to prove
difficult. I thought about how light can change colour in different circumstances and
tried to work with this and I also used a colour filter as a second choice.
I used different coloured backgrounds for the shell in the hope that the light might
change slightly to give a different colour. This didn't happen but I think using the
different light sources made the difference. However having the backgrounds the way
they are does bring out the patterning on the shell and I like the effect it has created.




 
 
 
 
 
 
Shot using a Blue filter...

Shot using a Red filter....

Using the coloured filters has created nice effects the only issue I can see with the
series of photos is that the crop is different on each image. The first image in the blue
sequence, I think is the best out of all of them. I also like the way the light can be
seen clearly getting brighter through the images. These were taken outside with the
sun gradually coming out from behind a cloud and has been shown as such through
the difference in the shadows.

The colour images taken on a coloured background have turned out better than
expected and have become my personal favourite coloured shots.



No comments:

Post a Comment